The importance of pediatric first aid
Pediatric first aid training is incredibly important. 1 in 13 children will take a hospital visit for an injury this year. Of the childhood injuries that occur:
- 1 in 2 occur at home or in someone else’s home
- 1 in 3 at school
- 1 in 5 during sport
Thankfully, 80% are treated and discharged, while 20% result in hospital admission for further investigation or medical treatment.
Most common causes of injury to children include:
- Falls – are the single largest cause of childhood injury
- Drowning – is the single biggest danger to children under 5 years of age
- Transport injuries – as a passenger in a motor vehicle or as a pedestrian, it is the second largest cause of childhood injury, and tend to be severe
- Bicycles – simply falling off a bicycle is a major cause of serious injury
- Scalds & burns – is a major cause of long term injury
- Choking & Suffocation– is the fourth largest cause of death by injury in children under 4; and the leading cause of death by injury in children under 12 months
- Poisoning – is one of the most common hazards for young children
While accidental injury is not always preventable, our actions can significantly influence the severity and the comfort of the injured child.
What difference can I make as a first aider?
Whilst most of us go about our lives believing we will remain untouched by tragedy, many others provide proof that things can and do happen to ordinary people, usually when we least expect it.
Mostly, we are surrounded by our family, friends or work colleagues – so chances are that if faced with an emergency situation, it may involve someone we care about.
Other people may not always be immediately around to help, and professional help will take time to arrive.
Sometimes the minutes make a difference. Knowing what to do allows each of us to be in a position to help make a difference to the outcome – often, to people we care about.
Learning first aid gives individuals the knowledge, skills and courage to act – at a time in our lives when doing something becomes critically important.
How can I learn first aid skills for children?
Sign up to our free online pediatric first aid course and start learning key basic first aid skills from the comfort of your own home.