Signs and Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is sometimes called the “invisible killer”,  and here’s a good reason for this. Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels (for example, coal or gas). Unfortunately, this gas has no smell, taste or color making it incredibly difficult to detect.

In this first aid blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most common signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Spotting these symptoms could be lifesaving!

Unfortunately, many of these signs and symptoms are vague and could be caused by other conditions or problems. This can make spotting carbon monoxide poisoning even more difficult.

Common Signs and Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The exact signs and symptoms will vary from person to person, depending on their exposure to Carbon Monoxide. Here are some of the most common warning signs:

  • A headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness/lightheadedness
  • Memory problems
  • Chest Pain
  • Feeling sick (nausea)
  • Seizures
  • Reduced level of consciousness/coma

Often, a vague headache is the first warning sign following exposure to Carbon Monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms are Lifesaving

As the warning signs of Carbon Monoxide are so vague, and the gas difficult to detect, a CO alarm could be lifesaving. Modern alarms are cheap and incredibly sensitive.

Do you have a working Carbon Monoxide alarm?

John Furst

JOHN FURST is an experienced emergency medical technician and qualified first aid and CPR instructor. John is passionate about first aid and believes everyone should have the skills and confidence to take action in an emergency situation.

You may also like...

First aid links

Leave a Reply