Common signs of a serious head injury
Knowing the warning signs of a serious head injury is important. Recognising a serious head injury early is vital, early advanced medical help can be the difference between life and death.
These are common signs of a serious head injury:
- Persistent reduced level of consciousness
- Confusion / loss of memory
- Double vision
- Difficulty walking or speaking
- Seizures (fits)
- Worsening headache
- Clear/straw coloured fluid leaking from the ears or nose
- Any signs of a fractured skull
If you suspect a victim has sustained a serious head injury then do not delay in calling for emergency medical help.
Signs of a serious head injury may not develop immediately after the injury has occurred. It may be several hours before these signs appear. Always ensure someone who has sustained a head injury is left in the care of a responsible person for at least 24 hours after the injury.