What should be in a personal first aid kit?
A personal first aid kit is an essential item to keep handy around the home or when out & about. Here’s our list of suggested contents for a personal first aid kit.
This is just a suggested list – you may want to add extra items depending on your lifestyle. For example, if you do lots of walking and hiking then it may be a good idea to stock specialised blister plasters in your first aid kit.
Personal first aid kit contents
- First aid leaflet / book (up to date)
- Plasters of various sizes
- Sterile wound dressings (assorted sizes – small, medium and large)
- Triangular bandages
- Safety pins
- Disposable gloves (for your hand size – small/medium/large)
- Adhesive tape (ideally hypoallergenic)
- Eye pad
- Saline water for eye washing
- Sterile gauze and low adherent dressings
- Foil blanket
- Conforming or crepe bandage
- Resuscitation/CPR face shield
- A copy of your medical history and current medication
- Medications if required – painkillers, anti-inflammatories etc
Always ensure your personal first aid kit is fully stocked and all the items are kept in their original packaging. Items which are sterile will have an expiry date; remember to check expiry dates on a regular basis!