What should be in a basic first aid kit at work?
Most workplaces and offices should stock a basic work first aid kit. Here’s our list of suggested contents for a basic first aid kit at work:
First aid kit contents at work
- First aid leaflet / book (up to date)
- First aid kit contents checklist
- Assorted plasters
- Sterile wound dressings (assorted sizes – small, medium and large)
- Triangular bandages
- Safety pins
- Disposable gloves (small, medium and large)
- Adhesive tape (ideally hypoallergenic)
- Eye pad
- Saline water for eye washing
- Sterile gauze
- Foil blanket
- Conforming or crepe bandage
- Resuscitation/CPR face shield
This is only a suggestion for essential items. Each workplace should conduct a risk assessment to identify if any further items are needed.
For example, if there is a risk of burns in the work environment then the first aid kit may need more specialist equipment to deal with burn injuries.
Some countries may have specific regulations about the contents of first aid kits in the workplace. It is important to follow these first aid regulations if they apply in your country!
It is important that the office first aid kit is kept fully stocked and in-date. A member of staff should be delegated to check and re-stock the first aid kit on a regular basis.