Incident management for first aiders and responders
The main principle of incident management is that you are the most important person and your safety comes first!
- Check for any dangers to yourself or bystanders
- Manage any dangers found (if safe to do so)
- Ensure continuing safety of yourself and bystanders
Think about the following situation:
Imagine you came across this situation, think about the following questions:
- What would your first action be?
- What dangers could there be in this situation?
- How would you manage these dangers?
- Which other emergency services would be required?
Feel free to leave your answers in our comments section!
In some situations it may be too dangerous for you approach the scene. In this situation you should remember that you are the most important person – stay back and call for professional assistance.
Calling for emergency help
Want to learn more about first aid? Have a go at one of our free online first aid courses.